2 hrs 5 mins
1 hr 45 mins
Linda's Busy Kitchen's Note:
Great to make for that special Halloween Party, or for the kids who come to Trick Or Treat at your house! Recipe from Food Network. Preparation time does not include time to toast the seeds. Cooking time includes time for caramels to cool.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds or 1/2 cup sunflower seeds, toasted
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup dark corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice or 1 teaspoon apple pie spice
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon fine salt
- 2/3 cup canned pumpkin puree, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1Line an 8x4 inch loaf pan with waxed paper or aluminum foil. Brush the sides, but not the bottom lightly with butter and sprinkle the pumpkin seeds in the bottom.
- 2Whisk the maple syrup, brown sugar, cream, corn syrup, pie spice, lemon juice, and salt together in a heavy bottomed medium saucepan.
- 3Brush down the sides on the saucepan with water to remove every grain of sugar. Set the candy thermometer into the sugar. Cook the mixture over medium heat, without stirring, until the mixture reaches the firm ball stage, 248 degrees F, about 18-20 minutes.
- 4Carefully stir in the pumpkin puree. Return to the heat and cook, stirring occasionally, until the caramel reaches the soft ball stage, 240 degrees F, about 15 minutes more. (I cooked mine to the firm ball stage and they came out perfect - 248 degrees F).
- 5Remove from the heat, and stir in butter and vanilla.
- 6Pour the caramel over the pumpkin seeds in the prepared pan. Smooth to an even layer. Cool to room temperature.
- 7When fully cooled peel from the waxed paper or foil, and cut into 24 (1 inch) squares.
- 8Wrap individually in parchment or waxed paper, and store in an airtight container for up to a week.
Browse Our Top Candy Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Candy Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pumpkin Caramels
Serving Size: 1 (936 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 110.7
- Calories from Fat 33
- Total Fat 3.6 g
- Saturated Fat 1.7 g
- Cholesterol 8.0 mg
- Sodium 76.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 15.8 g
- Protein 0.8 g