Spaghetti With Sausage-Mushroom Sauce
photo by teresas
- Ready In:
- kosher salt (for boiling pasta)
- 12 ounces spaghetti
- 3 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3⁄4 lb Italian sausage (sweet or hot with casings removed)
- 1 (8 ounce) package sliced mushrooms (mixed)
- fresh ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
- shredded parmesan cheese, for topping
- Bring a pot of salted water to boil. Add the spaghetti and cook as package directs. Reserve 1/2 cup cooking water, then drain.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the sausage and cook, breaking it up with a wooden spoon, until browned, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a bowl.
- Add the remaining 2 teaspoons oil to the skillet and increase the heat to medium-high. Add the mushrooms, season with salt and pepper and cook until lightly browned, 3-4 minutes. Stir in the tomato paste and rosemary and cook, stirring 1 minute. Return the sausage to the skillet, then add the cream and 1 cup water; bring to a gentle simmer and cook until slightly thickened, 8-10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the spaghetti to the skillet and toss with the sauce, adding some of the reserved cooking water to loosen, if needed. Top with shredded parmesan, if desired.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I cut the recipe in half...and there were 3 nice size servings...hubby went back for seconds and filled his bowl full...nothing was left in the pan...he loved it...this has the comfort food taste to it...not the most attractive dish...but it sure is yummy...I used the sweet sausage but think I will try the hot next time...this is a keeper...made for "For your consideration" tag game...=)