Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
Reminiscent of pumpkin bread except with chocolate.
Top Review by Swiss Chocolate
These are very tasty and moist brownies. I used half a cup of egg substitute instead of the eggs and added vanilla extract instead of the spices (trying to make them closer to "normal" brownies). I also reduced the sugar to 3/4 cups, and they were still quite sweet, at least for my taste. Great healthier alternative to brownies that doesn't sacrifice taste.
- 3⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour, plus additional for the pan
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh grated nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin
Directions See How It's Made
- Position oven rack in the lower third or the oven; preheat oven to 350°.
- Butter and flour a 9-inch square baking pan; set aside.
- In a bowl, whisk the cocoa powder, flour , cinnamon, baking powder, nutmeg, and salt until well combined; set aside.
- In a big bowl, cream the brown sugar and butter using an electric mixer on medium speed; continue beating until the mixture is a pale brown and thick, about 5 minutes.
- beat in the eggs one at a time, adding the second only after the first is thoroughly incorporated.
- Add in the canned pumpkin and continue beating at medium speed until smooth and creamy, about 3 minutes.
- With a wooden spoon or rubber spatula, stir in the flour just until incorporated; do not beat.
- Pour the batter into prepared pan, spreading it gently to the corners.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until a pick comes out clean; set pan on a wire rack to cool for at least 30 minutes.
- Cut brownies into 16 squares while they are still in the pan.
- Carefully remove them with an offset spatula.
- Serve immediately or let cool completely before covering with plastic wrap for storage at room temperature.
- *May add one of the following with the pumpkin: 2 teaspoons vanilla extract, 1 teaspoon maple extract, 1 teaspoon rum extract and/or ¾ cup of any of the following: chopped pecans, chopped walnuts, semisweet chocolate chips, white chocolate chips.