3 hrs 30 mins
Food and Wine, from their 2007 Thanksgiving in your 20s Menu: "In her reimagining of holiday pumpkin soup, F&W's Melissa Rubel adds pumpkin to dal - the spicy, soupy Indian legume dish. The result is a hearty, healthy soup with a lovely edge of sweetness."
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium red onion, cut into 1/4 inch dice
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 serrano chili, seeded and minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cups yellow split peas, soaked in water for 1 hour and drained
- 8 1/2 cups water
- 1 (15 ounce) can unsweetened pumpkin puree
- 3/4 lb fresh sugar pumpkin or 3/4 lb butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1/4 inch dice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1In a large pit, melt the butter.
- 2Add the onion, garlic, and chile and cook over moderate heat until the onion is softened, about 4 minutes.
- 3Add the cumin and cayenne and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- 4Add the split peas and water, then whisk in the pumpkin puree and bring to a simmer.
- 5Cover and cook over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally, until the split peas are tender, about 2 hours.
- 6Stir the diced pumpkin into the soup and simmer over moderately low heat until tender, about 30 minutes.
- 7Remove from heat. Stir in the lemon juice, season with salt and pepper to taste, and serve.
Browse Our Top Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pumpkin and Yellow Split Pea Soup
Serving Size: 1 (282 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 169.5
- Calories from Fat 39
- Total Fat 4.3 g
- Saturated Fat 2.5 g
- Cholesterol 10.1 mg
- Sodium 7.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.9 g
- Sugars 3.9 g
- Protein 8.9 g