Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This soup is a great change from most Pumpkin soups which include cream, it is still a great creamy soup just without the cream!!
- 1 kg pumpkin
- 1 1⁄2 liters chicken stock
- 1⁄2 cup tomato paste
- 1 onion, peeled and diced
- 2 teaspoons garlic, crushed
- 2 teaspoons ginger, grated or finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons basil
- black pepper
- Peel and chop pumpkin.
- In a large pot add pumpkin, and also all other ingredients, with the exception of the black pepper.
- Bring the soup to the boil and simmer for approx 30 minutes or until pumpkin is tender.
- Remove from the heat and puree soup until smooth in food procesor or blender, stir in black pepper and serve.
Wonderfully hearty soup to make on a damp day in autumn. I used one large can of plain pumpkin (no spices) and fresh basil. I still put the soup into the blender to puree the onions and basil. Will most definitely make this again!
This was a very good soup, quickly put-together, and cooked while I was busy with other things. I made it for DHs lunches this week, but we've already finished most of it, glorious to have a nice cup of soup instead of tea or coffee! I wondered about the ginger, but its just quietly there in the background, adding a nice undertaste. I DID add a teaspoon of brown sugar, because of the tomato paste, just to take off that acid tang. Thanks for a very good recipe, Sarah :)
This was pretty good! I had to use canned pumpkin because of a time restraint, but this was WONDERFUL! My kids even loved it. Thanks so much for the recipe!