Prep 30 mins
Cook 5 hrs 30 mins
I adopted the biscuit bowl recipe from Paula Deen, but used our 'chili to beat all chili' recipe. It's not traditional with heat, but rather a sweet flavor to it that goes great alone or with the chili bowls.
- 14.79 ml paprika
- 9.85 ml dry ground mustard
- 2.46 ml salt
- 2.46 ml black pepper
- 2.46 ml cumin powder
- 1360.77 g pork shoulder
- 14.79 ml olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1814.36 g chili beans (Bushes)
- 158.51 ml light brown sugar
- 44.37 ml honey
- cooking spray
- 946.36 ml biscuit mix (Bisquick)
- 314.66 ml whole milk
- 7.39 ml cayenne pepper
- flour, for dusting the work surface
- 226.79 g cheddar cheese, shredded
- 226.79 g sour cream
- Mix rub ingredients together and rub all over pork roast. Pour olive oil into bottom of crock pot. Place roast into pot with onion, bell pepper, garlic, and bay leaves. slow cook about 4 hours.
- Discard bay leaves. Remove roast, chop up or 'pull' the pork apart using two forks to seperate the meat. Add pork back to pot along with the chili beans (including sauce), brown sugar, and honey. Slow cook an additional 1-2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- TO MAKE BISCUITS: Preheat oven to 350°F Stir together the baking mix, milk, and cayenne. Shape into a ball. Turn out onto a floured surface and knead 3 or 4 times. Divide the ball into 6 pieces. Roll each piece into a 6-inch circle.
- Using an inverted jumbo muffin pan, spray cooking spray over every other muffin cup. Place a dough circle over the inverted greased cups. Press around the cup to form a bowl shape.
- Tap tops with flat surfaced item so they will stand up after baking (I use the cap of the spray can).Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, until lightly browned. Let cool slightly.
- SERVE: Spoon some of the chili into each of the biscuit bowls. Top with cheddar cheese and a dollop of sour cream.
I'm giving this a 4 because I loved the bowls. I wasn't very fond of the chili, I thought it a bit too sweet, even for a pulled pork. I LOVE the idea of the bowls with either chili or pulled pork. Not sure of them together. Made and Reviewed for Please Review My Recipe Tag - Thanks! :)
I really enjoyed this recipe. The little biscuit bowls were so cute too! I did kind of mess up the chili, but it was still great. (I got distracted when a friend came over and to make a long story short I had the roast going for about 8 1/2 hours, and then had to rush the last steps to get it done before bedtime!) I can't wait to try this again when I actually time everything correctly! Thanks for posting 2Bleu! Made for Photo tag.
We loved this. I only made 1/4 of the recipe (only my daughter and I here right now) and slow roasted in the oven at 250. Big mistake! I so wish we had left overs because we devoured this. I have to make this again now. Thanks so much for posting