Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
I call this a man's 'dessert'. Great for a football party or any gathering of men...if they can get it away from the women.
- 1 unsliced loaf sourdough bread, round loaf
- 8 -12 ounces cheddar cheese, thinly sliced
- 3 ounces bacon bits (real bacon bits)
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon dry ranch dressing mix
- fresh ground pepper (optional)
- Preheat oven 350 degrees.
- Using a sharp bread knife, cut the bread into about 1 inch slices from side to side going in both directions, repeating until entire loaf is cut. Do not cut through the bottom crust. It should look something like an onion mum.
- Place slices of cheese inbetween slits. Sprinkle bacon bits on bread, making sure to tuck most between cuts.
- Mix together butter and dry Ranch dressing mix. Pour over bread. If desired, dust with a couple of twists of freshly ground pepper.
- Wrap in foil the entire loaf in foil, folding to seal. Place on a baking sheet; bake for 15 minutes. Unwrap. Bake for an additional 10 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Hi GailAnn. I made this bread to go with a crock of chili. Everyone loved it! I'll have to admit, I made some 'slight' alterations. I used shredded cheddar, since that's what I had on hand. I also used onion dip mix in place of the ranch dressing mix, since that's what I had on hand. No matter... it was delicious! Thanks for the recipe. (I will try it next time with ranch).
This was fun to serve. :-) The finished bread would be a hit for Superbowl snacks & easy enough for a weeknight menu addition. I had a store brand packet of ranch dressing mix on hand and the ranch flavor was lacking in the finished bread. Next time I will definitely use the name brand. My hubby suggested placing a wooden spoon underneath the loaf to aid the stuffing procedure. It worked & made things much easier! I served this with homemade vegetable beef soup. Thank you for sharing the recipe!