Prep 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
I recently found this recipe -- I haven't tried it yet, but it sounds like it will make a light, fresh dessert that I think my family will enjoy.
- 16 ounces frozen strawberries, partially thawed
- 1⁄2 cup strawberry jelly
- 2 cups fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 0.5 (17 ounce) package frozen puff pastry, thawed (1 sheet)
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 6 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 8 fresh strawberries
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Blend or process frozen strawberries and jelly until smooth. Stir in sliced berries; cover and refrigerate.
- Roll pastry to 12x10 inches; cut in eight rectangles. Place pastry rectangles 1 inch apart on large baking sheet; pierce with fork tines. Cover with second baking sheet. Bake 6 minutes. Remove top baking sheet; bake 4 minutes more. Remove from oven; let stand on sheet. Reduce oven to 325 degrees.
- For meringue, mix 1/2 cup water and cornstarch. Put in small saucepan and cook over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Remove from heat; cool slightly. In bowl combine sugar and cream of tartar; set aside. In large mixing bowl beat egg whites and vanilla on medium to high speed until frothy. Gradually beat in sugar mixture until soft peaks form. Add cornstarch mixture; beat to stiff peaks. Spoon on pastry; bake meringue 15 minutes. Serve pastries warm with sauce. Top each piece with a fresh whole strawberry, dabbing a bit of the sauce on the meringue, under the strawberry, to keep the whole berry in place.
I have never worked with puff pastry before, found it very easy to work with and delicious flavor. Followed the recipe without any changes and found I had way too much meringue. Made yummy meringue cookies out of extra meringue. Very delicious desert. Made for PAC, spring 2008. Thanks for posting.