Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is a recipe I found on "FamilyFoodie.com" while searching for Portugese recipes. This is her father's favorite Portugese dessert and she posted this recipe for Father's Day.
- 8 eggs, yolk and whites seperated
- 8 tablespoons sugar
- 8 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1.Pre-heat oven to 325 degrees.
- 2.In a metal bowl whip the egg whites on high until this are stiff and form peaks.
- 3.Add the cornstarch, one tablespoon at a time.
- 4.Slowly add the 2 tbs of sugar and continue to whip.
- 5.Place the peaks in a greased bundt pan and bake for approximately 25 minutes or until the peaks are lightly brown.
- 6.Meanwhile, prepare the topping by boiling the water, 6 tsps sugar and butter until the thick and gooey.
- 7.Remove from the heat and add the egg yolks.
- 8.Add the Lemon juice at the end and mix until smooth.
- 9.Bring to a boil. Add a little water if mixture becomes too thick.
- 10.Remove the Meringue from the oven, let cool and invert onto a large round plate, with sides.
- 11.Top with the sweet caramel (lemony) mixture and serve immediately.