Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
This very moist cake was made for every birthday when my husband was growing up. I recently made it for Father's Day and it was a huge hit with my family! The extra bonus is it is so easy to prepare. You can make many different versions by just changing the cake and/or pudding flavors.
- 2 (3 ounce) boxes instant chocolate pudding mix (4-serving size)
- 1 (18 ounce) box yellow cake mix
- 3 eggs (or as called for by your cake mix)
- 1⁄3 cup oil (or as called for by your cake mix)
- 1 1⁄3 cups water (or as called for by your cake mix)
- 1 (8 ounce) container Cool Whip Topping
- chocolate shavings (optional)
- Bake cake as directed on box using a 9x13 baking pan.
- Let cool.
- Mix pudding as directed on box.
- I mix each box in a different bowl to assure I have the same amount of pudding for each layer.
- Remove cooled cake from pan and slice in half horizontally and put bottom layer back in baking pan.
- Spread one bowl of pudding on top of cake layer.
- Add second layer of cake to pudding layer.
- Add second bowl of pudding on top cake layer.
- Top cake with a layer of Cool Whip.
- Cake order should be cake, pudding, cake, pudding, Cool Whip.
- Decorate with chocolate shavings (optional).
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
The cake tasted delicious! I think next time it would be a good idea to let the cake chill and set with the pudding on it before putting the cool whip on it, mine smeared and the cool whip muixed with the pudding.
I made this 2 days ago and it was devoured by my son and husband within hours! I did make a few changes-I used chocolate cake mix and vanilla pudding. Instead of the whipped topping, I used Nutella Icing-whipping cream with nutella mixed in. Wow-delicious!!!!! Thanks for the recipe. Next time I thing I'll try it with the yellow cake and chocolate pudding.