Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
A very tasty fish dish done in the style of Spetses, an island close to Athens.
- 2 lbs cod or 2 lbs halibut or 2 lbs red snapper fillets
- 1 small lemon, juice of
- 2 large ripe tomatoes (or a 1 lb tin crushed)
- 3⁄4 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3⁄4 cup fresh parsley, minced
- 3⁄4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Place the fish in a glass baking dish large enough to contain it in one layer and sprinkle the fish with the lemon juice and season to taste.
- Peel one tomato and'grate' through the large holes of a box grater into a bowl to catch the pulp and juices; add the tomato paste (thinned in a bit of water), garlic, parsley, olive oil and salt and pepper.
- Pour the tomato mixture over the fish.
- Slice the other tomato in thick slices (if using tinned tomato, you can forego this part), place the slices over the fish and top with the bread crumbs.
- Bake for about 40 minutes.
This was an excellent dish, and will definitely go on our regular rotation! I used fresh caught trout, as that's what I had on hand, and will probably do so again. I was a little uncertain about the tomato slice because trout is so thin, but I needn't have worried. The texture of the breadcrumbs was a really good addition. Made for ZWT9 - thanks for posting, captain!
Wonderful! A welcome change to the fish recipe that we always use! I used 1 lb. of basa fillets, 1/2 can of crushed tomatoes, 2 small plum tomatoes sliced on top of the fish and panko breadcrumbs that I toasted in the oven first. We had this for dinner with Creamy Orzo and Spinach (Recipe #61837) and the flavors were even better when I took the leftovers to work the next day! And it took almost no time to put it together! Thanks!
This was so good! I made it with canned diced tomatoes since the fresh tomatoes at the store looked so unappetizing. Even without sliced tomatoes on top, it looks so yummy on the plate and tastes even more so. I made three pieces of fish (half recipe) just so that I have some left over for my lunch tomorrow. I can hardly wait!