Recipe by Manami
"Chef Barbara Lynch's take on saltimbocca gets its richness from Taleggio* cheese, which is stuffed in the chicken breast. A slightly sweet bread salad is served with the chicken." Bon Appetit Magazine, September 2009 Edition. The real name of the dish is: Prosciutto-Wrapped Chicken Breasts with Eggplant Panzanella and Raisin-Pine Nut Vinaigrette - with "Taleggio cheese that is a semi-soft, washed-rind cheese from the Valtaleggio region in northern Italy, near Lombardy. It is characteristically aromatic yet mild in flavor and features tangy, meaty notes with a fruity finish. The texture of the cheese is moist-to-oozy with a very pleasant melt-in-your-mouth feel. The combination of the soft texture, pungent aroma, and buttery flavors has proven to be addictive especially when spread on fresh crusty bread! Taleggio pairs nicely with Italian Nebbiolo wines, as well as a wide range of reds & whites." Cooling times have not been included.
RAISIN-PINE NUT VINAIGRETTE
- 1⁄2 cup golden raisin
- 1⁄2 cup hot water
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1⁄3 cup finely chopped shallot
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 anchovy fillets, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons sherry wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 36 ounces boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 8 ounces taleggio cheese, rind trimmed, cheese cut into six 2-inch-long slices
- 12 prosciutto, slices (sliced thin)
- 1 lb unpeeled Japanese eggplant, cut into 1/2-inch-wide rounds
- 1 baguette (16 oz)
- 7 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
Directions See How It's Made
- RAISIN-PINE NUT VINAIGRETTE:.
- Combine raisins and 1/2 cup hot water in small bowl; let soak 15 minutes, then drain.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in small skillet over medium heat.
- Add shallots, garlic, and anchovy fillets; sauté until shallots are tender, about 4 minutes.
- Transfer to medium bowl; mix in raisins and vinegar.
- Add 1/2 cup oil; whisk until well blended.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- *DO AHEAD: Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and chill. Bring to room temperature before continuing.
- Whisk pine nuts into vinaigrette just before serving.
- Place chicken breasts on work surface.
- Using sharp knife and starting at thickest side of 1 chicken breast, cut 2-inch-long, 1-inch-deep horizontal pocket, being careful not to cut through completely to other side of breast.
- Insert 1 piece of cheese in pocket and press opening closed & sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper.
- Place 2 prosciutto slices side by side on work surface, slightly overlapping on long sides.
- Place 1 chicken breast crosswise atop center of prosciutto slices; wrap prosciutto slices around chicken, covering completely and pressing to adhere (if necessary, fasten with small turkey skewers) & repeat with remaining chicken, cheese, and prosciutto.
- **DO AHEAD Can be made 6 hours ahead. Cover and chill.
- EGGPLANT PANZANELLA:.
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Toss eggplant with 3 tablespoons oil in large bow & sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Spread eggplant slices in single layer on rimmed baking sheet.
- Bake until eggplant slices are tender but still intact, 35 to 40 minutes.
- Transfer to large bowl.
- *** DO AHEAD: Can be made 6 hours ahead. Cover and chill. Bring to room temperature before using.
- Add vinaigrette to eggplant and stir gently to combine; season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Let stand while preparing bread and chicken.
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Cut baguette crosswise into 3 sections & using serrated knife, trim off crust on all sides of baguette sections, then cut each section horizontally in half.
- Brush bread halves all over with 2 tablespoons oil; place on rimmed baking sheet.
- Bake until bread is slightly crisp and beginning to brown around edges, about 20 minutes. Let stand while preparing chicken.
- Increase oven temperature to 375°F.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in each of 2 large skillets over medium-high heat.
- Add 3 chicken breasts to each skillet and cook until browned, about 4 minutes per side.
- Transfer chicken to large baking sheet; roast in oven until instant-read thermometer inserted into thickest part of chicken registers 160°F, 15 to 20 minutes, depending on size of chicken breasts.
- Transfer chicken to cutting board; let rest 5 minutes.
- Thinly slice chicken breasts crosswise.
- Fan 1 chicken breast on each of 6 plates.
- Place 1 bread half alongside & top bread with eggplant-vinaigrette mixture and serve.
- E N J O Y!