Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This recipe was given to me a few Christmases ago by my good friend Priscilla. This is the best recipe for cut-out cookies that I've come across in all my years. It's simple, but it's delicious. Instead of almond, I'll sometimes add lemon or peppermint extract for different-flavored cookies. Cooking time includes chill time.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 1⁄2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour (if using self-rising four, omit soda and cream of tartar)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Mix butter, confectioners' sugar, egg, vanilla and almond extract thoroughly.
- Blend in flour, soda and cream of tartar.
- Cover and chill 2 to 3 hours.
- Heat oven to 375°; divide dough in half and roll each half 3/16 inch thick on lightly floured board.
- Cut into desired shapes. Decorate, if desired.
- Place on lightly greased baking sheet. Bake 7-8 minutes or until light brown on edge.
- If desired, frost when cooled.
I lost my recipe and was so thrilled to find this one. It is exactly like my recipe. Everyone is so thrilled with these cookies. They are the BEST!
This might truly be the perfect cut out sugar cookie! I topped this with a buttercream and the flavors matched perfectly! I will definitely use this again! Thank you!