Recipe by Katie'sMama
This recipe was given to me a few Christmases ago by my good friend Priscilla. This is the best recipe for cut-out cookies that I've come across in all my years. It's simple, but it's delicious. Instead of almond, I'll sometimes add lemon or peppermint extract for different-flavored cookies. Cooking time includes chill time.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 1⁄2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour (if using self-rising four, omit soda and cream of tartar)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix butter, confectioners' sugar, egg, vanilla and almond extract thoroughly.
- Blend in flour, soda and cream of tartar.
- Cover and chill 2 to 3 hours.
- Heat oven to 375°; divide dough in half and roll each half 3/16 inch thick on lightly floured board.
- Cut into desired shapes. Decorate, if desired.
- Place on lightly greased baking sheet. Bake 7-8 minutes or until light brown on edge.
- If desired, frost when cooled.