1/3 Photos of Prime Rib Roast a Fool Proof Method
1 hr 5 mins
Everything Tasty Kitchen's Note:
PRIME RIB, King of all Beef!! It's really so simple to cook a perfect prime rib. This is a family favorite that shouldn't have to wait for a holiday. I have 2 fool proof methods that are easy to follow and both work perfectly.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2721.55 g prime rib roast
- salt and pepper or Lawry's Seasoned Salt
- 11. Let the roast rest at room temperature for 3 hours, this will ensure even cooking and help you estimate the cooking time better.
- 22. I cut the ribs away from the roast and tie them back with cooking string. This makes it easier to cut when it's done but you do not need to do this.
- 33. Place the roast in a shallow pan, you do not need a rack -- hence "standing rib roast"!
- 44. Generously season the roast with Lawry's Salt, it's the best. You may use salt and ground pepper if you prefer.
- 55. Start at a high heat of 500 degrees for 15 minutes, turn the oven down to a lower temperature of 325 degrees for the remainder of the cooking time. As long as you have the thermometer in the meat, you will not over cook it. If your oven only goes to 450 degrees, that will work fine. Insert the thermometer from the side, it will be easier to find the center without hitting the ribs.
- 6Allow 13-15 minutes per pound for rare, 15-17 minutes per pound for medium rare. Use the guide below to set your thermometer, this is not a cut of meat to guess when it's done.
- 76. Take the roast out of the oven when the desired temperature is reached. Air on the rare side. Cover with foil and allow to rest for 20 minutes and it will continue to cook.
- 8Set the meat thermometer to the following:.
- 9Rare, 115.
- 10Medium Rare, 120 (used above)
- 11Medium, 125.
- 12Medium Well, 130.
- 13Let the meat rest for 15-20 minutes before carving to allow the juices to distribute back into the meat.
- 14If you don't have a meat thermometer, here is another fool proof method. This is called Millie's Method! Cook the roast in a 500 degree oven for 5 minutes per pound (for medium rare) and than shut the oven off and let it cook for 1 full hour. It's very important to not open the oven during this time. Let the meat rest before carving.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Prime Rib Roast a Fool Proof Method
Serving Size: 1 (272 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 5
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 0.0
- Calories from Fat 0
- Total Fat 0.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 0.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 0.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 0.0 g