Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
My best approximation at making the Pittsburgh restaurant Primanti Brothers coleslaw.
- 1 head green cabbage, shredded
- 1 carrot, shredded
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil, don't use olive oil, the flavor is too strong
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Combine the shredded cabbage, carrots, and onions in a bowl.
- In a microwave safe bowl, combine sugar, vinegar, and oil. Heat until the sugar is dissolved.
- Once the vinegar solution is completely cooled, pour over the cabbage mixture and chill in the fridge for at least 1 hour before serving.
As a former primanti's employee I can tell you the ingredients (made dozens of buckets full every single Thursday) the ONLY ingredients are: cabbage, white sugar, light veg oil, vinegar, salt and pepper. Can't even guesstimate the quantities as it's been a decade and our batches were made in the giant sinks in the back. No carrots no celery products no other spices. The batches were typically mixed / put in buckets and used oldest to newest, best flavor and consistency when a few days old, which is why we only made it once per week :)
Really good! I know that they use celery seed as a
Looks good other than the carrots. There aren't any carrots in any Primanti sandwich. But other than that, recipe looks spot on!