Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
These very moist cupcakes are excellent and fun! They are bright red, perfect for many occasions. Often found in the USA they are not common in Canada but should be because they are so good!!
- 15 1⁄2 ounces all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1⁄2 cups vegetable oil
- 13 ounces granulated sugar
- 1 1⁄4 cups buttermilk
- 3 eggs
- 2 tablespoons red food coloring
- 2 teaspoons red food coloring
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons white vinegar or 1 1⁄4 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄8 cup water
- Preheat oven 350 degrees F.
- Sift together flour, baking soda, salt, and cocoa powder into a bowl and set aside.
- In a mixer fitted with paddle attachment, mix oil, sugar, and buttermilk until combined. Add eggs, food coloring, vinegar, vanilla and water and mix well. Add the dry ingredients a little bit at a time and mix on low, scraping down sides occasionally, and mix until just combined. Be sure not to over mix, or the batter will come out
- Line a 16-cup cupcake pan with paper liners, scoop the batter into the liners and bake at 350 degrees F for 20 to 30 minutes or until the toothpick comes out clean. Let cool.
- Decorate with desired frosting when cool.
Didn't make these yet but this is the exact recipe from food network, courtesy Terri Wahl who owns a cupcake shop. Can't wait to try them.