Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Half of my extended family are vegetarian and many soups and sauces call for vegetable stock... and shop bought is a) unavailable here and b) stock cubes seem full of salt and preservatives. I make my own vegetable stock and freeze it so that I have plenty on hand when making vegetarian soups, lasagnes etc. I use small handfuls of fresh herbs, throw in what you have to hand and don't be afraid to be generous with the amounts. If you have veggies that need using up like cauliflower, green beans, broccoli etc throw them in too for the extra flavour. Yield depends on the capacity of your pressure cooker. ZWT REGION: The Netherlands.
- Saute the garlic, onions and celery gently in the olive oil in the bottom of the pressure cooker.
- Add all the rest of the ingredients and fill with water until it it 3/4 full. It's important not to fill your pressure cooker more than 3/4 full for safe cooking.
- Seal,Bring up to pressure and cook for 40 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and let the pressure drop naturally. Strain the liquid though a sieve into a large pot, press as much liquid out of the vegetables as you can, discard the vegetables.
- Once cool freeze the liquid for use in vegetarian soups, sauces, lasagne etc.
Very nice! Of course the pressure cooker makes it easy too! I also have vegetarian family members. I have always roasted my vegetables in olive oil and then simmered them on the stove top. This is much easier and yields fine results! I now have 5 qts. of veggie stock in my freezer! Since I grow everything on the ingredient list except peppercorns, I have the nice advantage of very fresh ingredients! Thanks.
Fabulous vegy stock. I used my electronic pressure cooker & it worked marvelous. I omitted the cauliflower. When I have them, I will use the green beans. Great recipe, thanks for sharing.
Very, very nice stock, & I managed to follow the recipe right on down, even including the optional veggies, at least this time around! And, although store-bought vegetable stock is available around here, it's great when a person can use things like this that are made at home, & since we have a large freezer, that works out just fine! Thanks for sharing your great recipe! [Tagged & made in Please Review My Recipe]