Basic Light Vegetable Stock
This is a Moosewood recipe. It is a standard vegetable stock and will work in any recipe that calle s for stock. It is light in color and mild in flavor. If you use mushrooms in the recipe the color will be a little darker.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 5mins
- 10 cups water
- 2 medium onions, quartered
- 2 medium sweet potatoes or 4 medium carrots, peeled
- 3 cloves garlic, unpeeled and smashed
- 2 large potatoes, thickly sliced
- 2 celery ribs, coarsely chopped
- 2 fresh parsley sprigs
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 6 peppercorns
- 4 allspice berries
- 1 cup mushroom stems (optional)
- Wash the vegetables well, removing any soil or sand.
- Combine all of the ingredients in a large soup pot and cover with a tight-fitting lid.
- On high heat, bring the stock to a boil and then lower the heat and simmer for about 45 minutes.
- When the vegetables are quite soft and have lost their bright colors, the stock is done.
- Strain the stock through a large colander or sieve, pressing out as much liquid as possible.
- Discard or compost the vegetable solids.
- Use the stock right away, or refrigerate in a sealed container for up to 4 days, or freeze up to 6 months.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
Join The Conversation