Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This recipe is super easy and super quick(compared to the common method). I use an electric pressure cooker so I'm not sure how it will work with a stove top pressure cooker(I worry that it may scorch) but with this method you have no worries of scorching with an electric presure cooker. FABULOUS!!! I am including altered instructions at the bottom for a chunkier apple butter which I prefer to the smoother version.
- 16 apples
- 1⁄2 cup cider vinegar
- 2 1⁄2 cups brown sugar
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- Core and slice apples.
- Place in 4 qt electric pressure cooker.
- Cook for 1 1/2 hours.
- Once steam has escaped through steam valve and remove lid.
- Carefully transfer apples to blender or food processor and process until smooth.
- Transfer back to pressure cooker pot and add brown sugar and spices.
- Cook for an additional 30 minutes.
- Release pressure and stir. (this will seem to be watery but it does thicken).
- Transfer into 2 qt jars with lids.
- Cover jars with paper towel while they cool.
- After apple butter is cooled, cover with lids and proceed as directed.
- You can either refrigerate, freeze, or can according to canning directions.
- **You can also peel and core the apples and use a potato masher instead of a blender. This produces a chunkier apple butter.
Would like to try this recipe, but don't know whether to pressure on high or low (2nd or 1st ring). Also, has anyone tried using apple juice concentrate instead of sugar to sweeten, so it's more natural? Does it still turn out good, and how much should be added so it's not too sweet?
Unless I'm missing it, I do not see when the AC vinegar is added. I assume with the apples in the cooker?
Super easy and very delicious!!!! Thanks for sharing :)