For those Moroccan dishes. Optional Safi Mixture: 1 cinnamon stick 3 cloves 5 to 6 coriander seeds 3 to 4 black peppercorns 1 bay leaf can be added in between layers of lemons.The addition of olive oil to act as a sealant on top of the lemons but is not necessary.
- Scrub thin skinned unblemished lemons and dry well.
- Cut each into 8 wedges.
- Toss with a generous amount of salt and Packing tightly in sterilized glass 1/2-pint jars with a glass or plastic-coated lid.
- Pour in Fresh lemon juice to make sure the lemons are well covered.
- The first week rotate jars shaking jar each day to distribute salt and juice.
- Then place in a dark spot for 2 weeks before using.
- To use, rinse the lemons, as needed, under running water, removing and discarding the pulp, and excess salt if desired.
- Add to Mediterranean salads, sliced lemons to chicken, lamb or fish 1/2 way through cooking, add coarsely minced lemon to rice water, couscous, or any grain water before adding the grains.
- There is no need to refrigerate after opening.
- Preserved lemons will keep up to a year, and the pickling juice can be used two or three times over the course of a year.