1/4 Photos of Preserved Lemons
For those Moroccan dishes. Optional Safi Mixture: 1 cinnamon stick 3 cloves 5 to 6 coriander seeds 3 to 4 black peppercorns 1 bay leaf can be added in between layers of lemons.The addition of olive oil to act as a sealant on top of the lemons but is not necessary.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Scrub thin skinned unblemished lemons and dry well.
- 2Cut each into 8 wedges.
- 3Toss with a generous amount of salt and Packing tightly in sterilized glass 1/2-pint jars with a glass or plastic-coated lid.
- 4Pour in Fresh lemon juice to make sure the lemons are well covered.
- 5The first week rotate jars shaking jar each day to distribute salt and juice.
- 6Then place in a dark spot for 2 weeks before using.
- 7To use, rinse the lemons, as needed, under running water, removing and discarding the pulp, and excess salt if desired.
- 8Add to Mediterranean salads, sliced lemons to chicken, lamb or fish 1/2 way through cooking, add coarsely minced lemon to rice water, couscous, or any grain water before adding the grains.
- 9There is no need to refrigerate after opening.
- 10Preserved lemons will keep up to a year, and the pickling juice can be used two or three times over the course of a year.
Browse Our Top Condiments, Etc. Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Preserved Lemons
Serving Size: 1 (878 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 35.8
- Calories from Fat 3
- Total Fat 0.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 25151.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.9 g
- Sugars 3.2 g
- Protein 1.2 g