Recipe by Miss Erin C.
This is from the Very Virginia cookbook. It is a really easy, great tasting dish that takes the work out of French Toast in the morning. You need to do the first step the night before, I did not include this in the prep or baking time.
- 8 large eggs, beaten
- 1 1⁄2 cups half-and-half
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 8 slices French bread (thick slices)
- 1⁄2-1 cup butter
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup maple syrup
- 3⁄4 cup chopped pecans
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small bowl, combine eggs and next 3 ingredients and pour half into a 13x9x2 inch pan.
- Cover with bread slices, top with remaining egg mixture.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Heat oven to 350F degrees.
- In a glass 13x9x2 inch baking dish, melt 1 stick of butter and stir in remaining ingredients.
- Cover butter mixture with soaked bread pieces and bake 30-35 minutes until puffed and brown.
- Cut into squares and invert onto plates to serve.