Recipe by Brooke the Cook in WI
The name says it all! I've been on a major oatmeal kick lately and wanted to create something that had just enough protein AND still very tasty! I use half a serving of Syntax Vanilla Bean protein powder with this recipe which has 12g of protein, as that is plenty of protein at one time for me - 1/2 a scoop measures a slightly heaping 1/8 cup. Your 'scoop' might be different sized - if you change the volume of the powder, you'll need to adjust the water accordingly. Don't skip the flaxmeal, I think its really important for the texture and flavor! I think you could use frozen blueberries, although I haven't tried it, just be sure to return your oatmeal to the microwave after adding them to warm them up. I usually don't add sugar or milk to my oatmeal and didn't include them in the recipe, but feel free to do so.
- 1⁄4 cup old fashioned oats
- 1 tablespoon flax seed meal
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon, plus more for sprinkling
- 3⁄4-1 cup water (use 3/4c for thick and 1c plus for thin oatmeal)
- 1⁄2 scoop vanilla protein powder (see note above)
- 1⁄2 cup fresh blueberries
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine oats, flax and cinnamon. Add water and mix well. Don't add the protein powder or it will become overcooked-yick!
- Microwave for one minute. **Microwave times given are for a 1300wt microwave, you will probably need more time if you have a smaller wattage microwave.**.
- Remove bowl from microwave and stir in protein powder.
- Return to microwave and set timer for 2 minutes, stirring every 20-30 seconds until your desired consistency is reached. *Watch carefully because the protein powder will puff and you don't want a mess!
- Add blueberries and stir - I like warm blueberries so I return the bowl to the microwave for another 15-20 seconds.
- Sprinkle with a little cinnamon.