Recipe by Sassy in da South
Had this delicious dish at a potluck over the weekend and the hostess was very kind to share her recipe with me and I wanted to share with ya'll.
Top Review by Kristin N.
This is one of my favorite recipes! Found it in a magazine years ago. My only tweaks are that I reduce the vinegar to 1/4 cup and I use red and yellow peppers for color (I also cut them into chunks, not strips). There is no way to mess up this recipe, so give it a try!
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 -4 lbs chicken pieces (we use boneless chicken tenders & boneless thighs)
- 1 cup peanut oil
- 1 (20 ounce) can pineapple chunks in juice
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 medium green bell pepper, sliced into thin strips
- cooked rice (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 13 x 9-inch baking pan.
- Pour buttermilk into a shallow bowl. Combine flour, salt and pepper in a separate shallow bowl.
- Dip chicken in buttermilk and dredge in flour mixture.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook until browned; transfer to baking pan.
- Drain pineapple, reserving juice. Add enough water to equal 1½ cups liquid.
- Combine sugar and cornstarch in a medium saucepan. Add pineapple liquid, vinegar, soy sauce and ginger.
- Stir until cornstarch is completely dissolved. Bring to a boil and cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Pour over chicken.
- Bake, uncovered, 30 minutes. Add pineapple and green pepper strips. Bake 15 minutes longer, or until chicken is tender and no longer pink in the center.
- Serve over rice, if using.