Recipe by Kim1
Great side dish!
Top Review by Ransomed by Fire
I made this tonight, scaled down to fit a loaf pan, using one huge potato (about 3 cups sliced). I omitted the onion, reduced the salt by 75%, and reduced all of the other ingredients by 50%. Based on a previous review, I par-boiled the potato slices before I layered them. I added some extra cheese on top and baked the potatoes for 30 minutes. This is the best au gratin potato recipe I've made yet. So, I'll definitely be keeping it around. Thanks!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 5 large potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped (fine)
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium sauce pan melt butter and add flour,salt and pepper.
- Pour in milk and stir until thick. Set aside.
- Grease a casserole dish.
- Layer the potatoes then onions then cheese.
- Repeat the layers.
- Pour a little of the white sauce over these layers make sure you keep enough to pour over the top.
- Repeat the next layer as you did the last two layers.
- When you are ready to bake this bake at 350°F for 1 hour then remove the top and bake until done.
- If you prefer the potatoes not to get brown keep covered as I do.
- This might take another 15 minutes depending in your oven.