If desired sprinkle the top layer of potatoes with grated Parmesan cheese after pouring the stock over. Use a good quality chicken broth for this it really makes a difference!
- 3 tablespoons butter (can use more)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic (or to taste)
- 6 medium onions (about 6 cups, thinly sliced)
- 1⁄4 cup dry sherry
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped tarragon (can use more)
- seasoning salt (or use white salt)
- 6 large yukon gold potatoes (peeled and thinly sliced) or 6 large russet potatoes (peeled and thinly sliced)
- 2 -3 cups chicken broth
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter an 8-cup baking dish (or larger).
- In a large skillet melt the butter with oil over medium heat add in sliced onions; saute stirring often until a rich golden brown (about 18-20 minutes).
- Add in the garlic the last 5 minutes of cooking.
- Add in the sherry and tarragon; cook until the liquid is absorbed season with salt and pepper, remove from heat and set aside.
- Arrange a layer of sliced potatoes in the bottom of the baking dish, season with salt and pepper.
- Top with 1/3 of the caramalized onion mixture.
- Arrange another layer of potatoes over the onions, season with salt and pepper.
- Repeat the layers until all of the potatoes and onions are used up (finishing the top with potatoes).
- Bring the chicken stock to a simmer and pour slowly over the potatoes.
- Cover the mixture directly but lightly with parchment paper, then cover the dish with foil.
- Bake for about 40 minutes.
- Uncover the dish and bake about 20 minutes more or until the potatoes are tender.
- Cool for 10 minutes before serving.
I made these to serve alongside a carrots and brussel sprouts. Very comforting dish, thank you!
Great change from scalloped potatoes. I used the parmesan option, and they had a nice crusty top layer. Great with a pork roast. Next time I will also do the "can use more" option on the tarragon. :) I cut the recipe in half and cooked in a smaller baking dish.
Wow! An excellant dish, just excellant, one that I will serve to company. This potatoe dish was a delight. The potatoes were nice and tender. The sauce created by the onions, garlic, tarragon & sherry was incredible, rich and savoury. I used sea salt. I will be making this dish often. Thank you so much for sharing.