Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
Thick & creamy soup adapted from a recipe found in a community cookbook.
Make and share this Potato-Spinach Soup With Rivels recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs (with some leaves, cut fine)
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth (reduced sodium works fine)
- 3 cups water
- 4 cups potatoes, chopped (I like red potato in this recipe.)
- salt & pepper
- 2 cups spinach, chopped. (I use fresh baby spinach, but frozen will work too.)
- 1 cup Velveeta cheese, cut up
- 2 cups low-fat milk
- 1 cup flour (or enough to make a dry mixture)
- 1 egg
- 1 dash salt
- Melt butter in large saucepan. A nonstick pan works great for an easy clean up.
- Add onion and celery: cover and cook over low heat until tender (about 15 minutes); stirring occasionally.
- While onions are cooking, make the rivels with the egg and flour and set aside. (Flour and egg mixture should be a little dry and crumbly)Don't over mix.
- When the onion is cooked, blend in flour. Add water and broth, potatoes and salt: stirring constantly. Bring to a boil, when you have a nice boil, add the rivels and stir gently. Cover and simmer about 30 minutes until potatoes are tender. Stir occasionally. (If it gets too thick, add a little more water or broth)
- Finally, add spinach and cheese and simmer uncovered until cheese is melted. Add milk and heat thoroughly.