Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
I make this for family reunions, weddings, graduations, and so on. Everyone asks for the recipe! It's a colorful salad that everyone likes.
- 10 lbs red potatoes
- 1 dozen egg
- 1 (16 ounce) jar olives
- 1 (16 ounce) jar kosher dill pickles
- 2 medium onions
- 2 cups mayonnaise (NOT salad dressing)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon onion salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Peel and dice the potatoes.
- Boil in salted water until just tender, about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook eggs until done and cool immediately.
- Drain olives and pickles and chop finely.
- Chop onion.
- When potatoes are done, drain and cool quickly.
- Using a wire whisk, prepare dressing by combining mayo, sour cream, buttermilk, salts, and pepper.
- Peel the cooled eggs.
- Save the best looking 4-5 to slice for garnish, chop the rest and add to cooled potatoes.
- Add chopped olives, pickles, and onion to potatoes.
- Stir well.
- Add dressing and stir to coat evenly.
- Carefully slice eggs for garnish and arrange on top of salad.
- Sprinkle with paprika.
- Cover and chill through prior to serving.
I made this Saturday for a crowd of family and friends and there was nothing left, they ate all 10 pounds! Several asked for the recipe. I put the onions, olives and pickles in the food processor and chopped them up and put the eggs thru a strainer to have a fine consistancy when they were mixed in. The result was a beautiful salad that when garnished with the egg slices and some fine diced green onion and seasoned salt (I was out of paprika )was almost to pretty to eat. I will be making this again soon.