Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a Bulgarian recipe, and more specifically, patatnik as it is called in Bulgarian (potato pie for the lack of a better translation) is commonly cooked in the Rhodopes.
- Peel and grate potatoes.
- Salt and leave aside for 15 minutes.
- Strain potatoes dry (salting would have caused the potatoes loosing water).
- Grate onions and mix with the potatoes and dried thyme (you can add a bit of dried mint as well).
- Heat oil in a shallow pan.
- Add the potato mixture to the pan and spread evenly, forming a sort of 1- 2 cm thick pancake.
- Cover with a lid and fry until the bottom is golden and a crust forms.
- Hold pan with lid on and turn over the potato pie on the lid.
- Slide potato pie on the uncooked side and repeat above steps until fried to golden.
- Repeat until mixture runs out.