Prep 40 mins
Cook 20 mins
Ever think you could make knishes that were fast, heart-healthy and better for your waistline? On top of that, it tastes good! This comes straight from a friend with added ideas of my own.
- 6 cups mashed potatoes, leftovers
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup kalamata olive, pitted & rough chop
- 1 cup scallion, white & green, diced
- 14 (6 inch) egg roll wraps, square shape
- salt, to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Combine potatoes with 1/2 cup olive oil, olives, scallions, and salt in large bowl.
- Place wrappers on a clean working surface so that it is a diamond-shape in front of you. Put 2 tbls of potato mix in center. Fold the top & bottom up to meet in middle. Squish lightly. Do the same with both sides. If needed, very, very lightly touch tip of one finger to water, rub together with thumb & squeeze all four corners.
- Gently pick knish up & hold in palms of your hand and squeeze lightly, shaping into a ball.
- Repeat with the remaining wrappers & potato mix.
- Place on UNoiled baking sheet. Brush tops with remaining 2 tbls of olive oil.
- Bake about 20 minutes, until golden brown.
- Serve warm. Experiment with dipping sauces.
- Try making with different vegetables like carrots or parsnips. Use a lightly moist grain mixed in with the potatoes. Try chopped chicken or turkey mixed into the potatoes. Try these with sweet potatoes! Oh, yum!