Prep 25 mins
Cook 20 mins
I copied this recipe years ago from an Italian cookbook. Serve with marinara sauce and grated cheese.
- Wash, peel and cube potatoes.
- Boil in salted water, in a covered pot, until tender.
- Drain, reserving a little hot water for further use.
- Put the hot cooked potatoes on a flat working surface and mash.
- Put 2 cups flour on top of potatoes and mix well to make a soft elastic dough.
- Knead the dough well until it is pliable, adding some of the reserved hot water if needed.
- You should knead until the dough is smooth and elastic, about 5- 8 minutes.
- Use as little additional flour as possible.
- To make gnocchi, break off small pieces of dough.
- Using the palm of your hand, roll the pieces to pencil thickness.
- Cut them into pieces about 3/4 inch long.
- Curl each piece by pressing lightly with your index finger and pulling your finger along the piece of dough toward you.
- When you want to eat them, bring salted water to a boil.
- Add gnocchi and boil rapidly, uncovered, until tender.
- They should take about 10 minutes or less.
- Drain, top with sauce and enjoy.