Recipe by Evie*
Quick and easy
Top Review by rsarahl
Nice recipe: great flavor, nice texture with the crispy fried coating and smooth interior. I made these potato cakes as a side dish with great results... using idaho russets I made 6 "burger-size" cakes. 1 cake made the perfect side to lemon garlic roasted chicken and minted baby peas. As a side, I would say that this recipe would serve 4-6; as a vegetarian main entree I agree that this would make 2 generous servings. This would be a great way to use up leftover mashed potato, but is good enough to demand boiling those potatoes specifically to make these cakes! I did have to use a little extra butter because my mixture was dry(I think it's due to the variety of potato). Any suggestions on a better variety of potato for this recipe? In any case, it's a keeper. Thanks!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs potatoes
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3 ounces feta cheese, diced fine
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
- flour (for dipping)
- oil (for frying)
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel and dice the potatoes and boil until tender.
- Drain and return to the hot pot to steam dry for a minute.
- Mash thoroughly.
- Mash in the butter, then the egg.
- Mix in the feta cheese.
- Season with salt and pepper and stir in the parsley.
- Form into patties and dip in the flour.
- Fry in hot oil until golden brown on both sides, approx 3-5 minutes.