Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Taken from Tasteful Traditions Cookbook by Women for Abilene Christian University. These are "Linda's Potatoes" and they are delicious with steak and prime rib. I have made this dish dozens of times and it always comes out perfect. This dish is great for holidays and dinner parties because they are very rich tasting and even picky kids love them. This can be made ahead of time, chilled and then cooked before serving.
- 8 large potatoes, baked and skins removed
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- salt and pepper
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 -4 tablespoons milk
- 16 ounces sour cream
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese, grated (divided)
- bacon, cooked and crumbled (optional)
- Mash potatoes with butter or margarine, salt, pepper, onion and milk.
- Add sour cream.
- Mix in 1/2 of the cheese.
- Pour into a large casserole dish.
- Sprinkle remaining cheese on top.
- Bake 15 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Top with crumbled bacon.
- If prepared ahead of time and chilled, bake 45 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit or until bubbly.
So Delicious! I prepared it ahead of time and then put it into the oven about 20 minutes before my roast chicken was due out of the oven. And it was piping hot and ready to serve with the chicken. So you can successfully prepare this in advance, even though it's not that difficult or time-consuming to do with regular meal prep. But it is a wonderful dish that won't disappoint. Thanks, southern_gal12000. Made for Spring 2011 Pick-A-Chef.
This is a delicious and simple make-ahead casserole. Wouldn't change a thing.
An easy recipe that uses ingredients I keep on hand that resulted in a very creamy and delicious potato side dish. I omitted the onion. Thanks for sharing your recipe southern_gal12000