1/3 Photos of Potato and Shiitake Mushroom Gratin
1 hr 30 mins
Originally submitted to thanksgivingrecipe.com I'm placing some of my very best holiday recipes on Zaar for others to discover and enjoy. I haven't found anyone who didn't want seconds of this! I use the food processor to do the slicing.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 lbs mushrooms, chopped
- 1 1/2 lbs fresh shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and coarsely chopped
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- ground black pepper
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 3 lbs baking potatoes, scrubbed
- 2 cups parmesan cheese
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1Melt butter or margarine in a large pot over high heat. Add all mushrooms, and saute; until liquid evaporates, about 10 minutes.
- 2Add garlic, thyme, and rosemary; saute; 1 minute.
- 3Add chicken broth. Simmer until liquid evaporates, stirring often, about 18 minutes.
- 4Season with salt and pepper. Cool.
- 5Position 1 rack in middle of the oven, and another rack in bottom third of oven. Preheat to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- 6Butter a 13x9x2 inch baking dish.
- 7Peel potatoes, and cut into 1/8 inch slices.
- 8Arrange 1/3 of the potatoes in prepared dish, overlapping slightly.
- 9Top potatoes with half of the mushroom mixture.
- 10Sprinkle 1/3 of the cheese over mushrooms.
- 11Repeat layering 1/3 of the potatoes, remaining mushroom mixture, and 1/3 of the cheese.
- 12Arrange remaining potatoes atop cheese.
- 13Whisk half and half, cream, 1 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1 teaspoon pepper in a large bowl to blend. Pour mixture over potatoes.
- 14Cover loosely with foil.
- 15Place baking dish on middle rack in oven, and a baking sheet on the bottom rack. Bake until potatoes are tender and liquid thickens, about 1 hour and 15 minutes,.
- 16Uncover, using metal spatula, press on potatoes to submerge.
- 17Sprinkle remaining cheese over potatoes.
- 18Bake until cheese melts and gratin is golden at edges, about 15 minutes longer. Let stand 10 minutes.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Potato and Shiitake Mushroom Gratin
Serving Size: 1 (374 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 465.9
- Calories from Fat 274
- Total Fat 30.5 g
- Saturated Fat 18.7 g
- Cholesterol 99.2 mg
- Sodium 707.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.0 g
- Sugars 4.6 g
- Protein 14.2 g