Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
There is only one word to describe this soup and that word would be YUM! My Fiance made this for me on our second date and he has just now decided to give me the recipe and let me share it with all of you. I hope you enjoy it, it took allot to get it from him!
- 3 slices rindless smoked fatty bacon
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 lb mealy potato, like baking and russet
- 1 lb onion
- 2 1⁄2 cups chicken stock
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk
- 3⁄4 cup dried shell pasta (conchigliette)
- 3⁄4 cup heavy cream
- chopped fresh parsley
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese, and garlic bread to serve
- 1 cup finely chopped parsley
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2⁄3 cup pine nuts
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 2⁄3 cup parmesan cheese
- white pepper (optional)
- 3⁄4 cup olive oil (use a good one!)
- To make the pesto sauce, put all of the ingredients in a blender or food processor and process for 2 minutes, or blend together by hand.
- Finely chop the bacon, potatoes, and onions.
- Sauté the bacon in a large pan over medium heat for 4 minutes.
- Add the butter, potatoes, and onions and cook for 12 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add the stock and the milk to the pan and bring to a boil.
- Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the pasta and simmer for 12-14 minutes more. Blend in the cream and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the parsley and 2 tablespoons of the pesto.
- Transfer to your serving bowls and top with parmesan cheese and a side of garlic bread.
The soup was a little thin to me, tho I only used regular cream instead of heavy cream and thickened it with cornstarch. I made my own recipe pesto too. Great concept for a soup, but I think I'll probably tweak it some next time I make it! Thanks for the great idea!