Chef Kate's Note:
Adapted from "Everybody Eats Well In Belgium" by Ruth van Waerebeek, this pancake can be lunch or brunch or a wonderful appetizer.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5 large yukon gold potatoes (peeled)
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 large leeks, white and pale green parts, sliced in small ring
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, freshly grated
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme (or 1 Teaspoon Dried)
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon fresh flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 1Grate potatoes into mixing bowl and cover with water.
- 2Melt 1 tablespoon butter in medium skillet. Add leeks and cook stirring until softened but not browned, 5 to 7 minutes.
- 3Season with salt and pepper and set aside. Drain potatoes and dry them well in kitchen towel.
- 4In skillet, heat 1 1/2 tablespoons of olive oil and 1 tablespoon butter.
- 5When the butter/oil is hot, spread half the potates in the pan and press down with a wooden spoon.
- 6Sprinkle with salt, pepper, nutmeg and half the thyme.
- 7Over potato layer, spread leeks in a thin layer and sprinkle with flour.
- 8Cover that with the rest of the potato mixture and press down.
- 9Sprinkle with salt, pepper, nutmeg and remaining thyme.
- 10Cook for 8-10 minutes on one side, then carefully slide pancake out onto plate. Invert plate and put uncooked side down in skillet.
- 11Saute for another 8-10 minutes or until very crusty.
- 12Serve with sour cream or creme fraiche and garnish with thyme sprigs.
Browse Our Top Pancakes and Waffles Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pancakes and Waffles Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Potato and Leek Pancake
Serving Size: 1 (278 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 755.2
- Calories from Fat 346
- Total Fat 38.4 g
- Saturated Fat 13.9 g
- Cholesterol 45.8 mg
- Sodium 45.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 97.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.4 g
- Sugars 8.5 g
- Protein 9.6 g