Prep 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
My sister served this chowder on Christmas Eve, I had to have 2 bowls of it. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.
- 3 cups sliced peeled potatoes
- 2 1⁄2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup grated carrot
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 1⁄4 cup chicken bouillon granule
- 3 cups water
- 3⁄4 cup butter
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 4 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup cubed cooked ham
- frozen bread dough
- In a soup kettle, combine items 1-7, simmer for 20 minutes covered or until vegetables are tender.
- In a saucepan, melt better, stir in flour, cook& stir over medium heat 2 minutes stirring constantly.
- Stir in milk, salt and pepper and bring to a boil.
- Boil and stir 2 minutes.
- Add to vegetable mix with ham.
- Simmer 10 minutes.
- Stir in cheese until just melted.
- Bread Bowls: 1 loaf frozen bread (this will make 3 bowls- Rhodes is good brand to use).
- Let thaw slightly.
- Cut into 3 even pieces and shape into balls.
- Let rise and bake according to package directions.
- Once baked, cut into top of bread and take out bread to form a bowl.
This recipe turned out very good for me! I thought it needed just a little more flavor so I added a little Thyme to it. Yummy!
This was absolutely awesome. I made it last night for supper. We loved it. I doubled the water and bouillon granules but kept the milk, butter and flour the same. It thickened up nicely. I also added more potatoes and broccoli. Thank you for posting such a delicious recipe.
Excellent soup recipe!!! I substituted chicken for the ham and added extra cheese...it got rave reviews. This is a good soup for bread bowls: it's thick enough and doesn't run into the bread. Thanks!