1 hr 40 mins
1 hr 15 mins
This recipe uses a combination of delicate herbs and mustard to flavour this simple and hearty pot roast.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 (3 1/2 lb) chicken
- 2 tablespoons whole grain mustard
- 2 carrots, roughly chopped
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 1 ounce unsalted butter
- 1 carrot, finely diced
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1 leek, trimmed and finely chopped
- 2/3 cup chicken stock
- 3/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon tarragon, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chives, chopped
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1Preheat the oven to 350°F
- 2Heat the oil in a large pan and brown the chicken on all sides, then strain the oil into a large oven-proof casserole.
- 3Brush the chicken well with the mustard and place in the casserole. Add the roughly chopped carrots and onions, cover with a lid and transfer to the oven for about one hour. Test by pricking the thickest part of the leg to see if the juices run clear.
- 4Meanwhile melt the butter in a separate pan and add the finely diced carrot, onions and leeks. Sweat slowly without colouring them.
- 5When the chicken is cooked, remove from the casserole and leave to rest. Add the stock, white wine and vinegar to the juices and vegetables in the casserole and cook for 5 minutes.
- 6Now strain the casserole juices over the diced cooked vegetables in the pan and bring to the boil. Check for seasoning, and shake in the parsley, tarragon and chives.
- 7Put in the chicken and pour the broth over before serving.
Browse Our Top Whole Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Whole Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pot-Roasted Mustard Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (625 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 715.3
- Calories from Fat 418
- Total Fat 46.5 g
- Saturated Fat 14.7 g
- Cholesterol 197.5 mg
- Sodium 352.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 6.5 g
- Protein 47.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
white wine vinegar