Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
A flavoursome snack with sardines from the store cupboard, toasted cumin and tangy lemon juice.
- 10 ounces sardines in oil, drained
- 1 red onion
- 2 red ripe tomatoes
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of, only
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed, toasted
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, halved
- 4 ounces feta cheese
- sliced French bread, toasted
- Using your hands, remove the skin and bones from the sardines - simply hold the fish under a gently running tap and rub the skins off with your thumb.
- Gently open the fish and remove any bones. Flake the flesh and leave on one side
- Finely dice the red onion. Blanch the tomatoes in boiling water for about 30 seconds, before plunging them into cold water. Remove their skins and seeds and finely dice the flesh.
- Toss the tomatoes and onion with the lemon juice, olive oil, cumin seeds and parsley. Season with salt and pepper.
- To serve, rub the toasted bread with olive oil and garlic, and heap the sardines onto the bread. Scatter over the tomato mixture and garnish with the Feta cheese.
This was really good. Forget about a snack. We had it for breakfast. I did this the lazy lady way. I used ground cumin. Didn't bone or peel the sardines, just flaked it as is. I used whole wheat bread. I also just sprinkled garlic powder on the bread. I could not figure out how to rub garlic on toast without making a mess. I just chopped up the tomatoes without peeling them. Thanks for posting.