Recipe by threeovens
A simple recipe for beans without a zillion ingredients. Preparation time does not include the overnight soak. You can also use 4 cans of cooked beans to avoid the wait.
Top Review by Elmotoo
We loved this! Very similar to chili but not as saucy. Wonderful flavor. Very easy to make. dh served it over macaroni. i would have preferred rice. Made for March Tag game in the Spain/Portugal forum.
- 1 lb dried kidney beans
- 1 teaspoon peanut oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 small hot red pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak beans overnight, then cook until tender, about 2 hours, or according to package directions. Drain.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet heat oil over medium heat and sauté onions and garlic until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the ground beef and cook until no longer pink; be sure to break up the meat into small pieces. Add tomato sauce, cloves, chili powder, salt and pepper, parsley, and the red pepper (leave whole).
- Add beans and cook another 25 minutes, covered.