Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
A simple recipe for beans without a zillion ingredients. Preparation time does not include the overnight soak. You can also use 4 cans of cooked beans to avoid the wait.
- 1 lb dried kidney beans
- 1 teaspoon peanut oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 small hot red pepper
- Soak beans overnight, then cook until tender, about 2 hours, or according to package directions. Drain.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet heat oil over medium heat and sauté onions and garlic until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the ground beef and cook until no longer pink; be sure to break up the meat into small pieces. Add tomato sauce, cloves, chili powder, salt and pepper, parsley, and the red pepper (leave whole).
- Add beans and cook another 25 minutes, covered.
We loved this! Very similar to chili but not as saucy. Wonderful flavor. Very easy to make. dh served it over macaroni. i would have preferred rice. Made for March Tag game in the Spain/Portugal forum.
This is indeed a simple recipe that you probably have the ingredients for. Made as directed but after browning the meat put cooked beans, and meat and seasoning in crockpot on low for 1 hr (had to go to the office for a bit before dinner) Worked fine. Was injoyed by all. It looks like chili, but the clove comes through and gives it a different flavor. Made for ZWT 5