1/2 Photos of Portuguese-Style Baked Fish
My mom makes this and its also very common in the Portuguese restaurants of SE New England. This is fantastic with spaghetti and even better with roasted potatoes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs fish fillets (cod, haddock or other white fish.)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 leek, cleaned and sliced (white part only)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 cups canned plum tomatoes (about 1 medium sized can)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup white wine
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon rosemary
- salt and pepper
- 1 green pepper, sliced
- 1 lemon, sliced
- 1 bunch fresh parsley, minced
- 1In a skillet heat the olive oil. Add the onions, leeks, and garlic, and saute over medium heat till transparent (about 5 minutes).
- 2Add peeled tomatoes, tomato paste, and seasonings. Cook for about 15 minutes over medium heat.
- 3Preheat the oven to 350.
- 4In a baking pan pour about 1/3 of the sauce.
- 5Put the fish fillets on top of the sauce. Top with the sliced green pepper.
- 6Pour the wine over this and then top with lemon slices.
- 7Pour the rest of the tomato sauce over all and then top with minced parsley.
- 8Bake this for about 25 minutes, or until the fish is done and the sauce is bubbly. Serve with pasta or potatoes. This is great!
Browse Our Top Saltwater Fish Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Portuguese-Style Baked Fish
Serving Size: 1 (345 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 426.7
- Calories from Fat 84
- Total Fat 9.3 g
- Saturated Fat 1.4 g
- Cholesterol 124.6 mg
- Sodium 476.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.0 g
- Sugars 8.2 g
- Protein 55.0 g