Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
I love steak (esp on the grill)and am always on the look out for recipes. This comes off a BBQ/grilling website and is very good. The pesto adds a nice topping flavor to the grilled steaks. I have done these on the countertop grill and on the campfire also with no change.
- 1⁄4 cup pine nuts
- 1 cup loosely packed fresh basil leaf
- 1⁄3 cup sun-dried tomato, oil-packed, drained
- 1⁄4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 medium garlic clove
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 (12 -16 ounce) porterhouse steaks, 1 inch thick
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- To make the pesto: In a medium skillet over medium heat, spread the pine nuts in a single layer and cook until lightly browned and toasted, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Put the nuts in a food processor.
- Add all the remaining pesto ingredients except the oil.
- Pulse to create a coarse cornmeal consistency.
- Slowly add the oil andpulse until it is incorporated.
- For a slightly looser consistency, add 1 to 2 tablespoons warm water as you pulse.
- The finished pesto should have all the ingredients blended but not pureed.
- Season the steaks with salt and pepper on both sides, pressing the seasonings into the meat.
- Lightly brush or spray each side with the oil.
- Allow the steaks to stand at room temperature for 20 to 30 minutes before grilling.
- Grill over Direct Medium heat until cooked to desired doneness, 8 to 10 minutes for medium rare, turning once or twice (if flare-ups occur, move the steaks temporarily over Indirect Medium heat). Remove the steaks from the grill and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Serve each steak with a generous dollop of pesto on top.
DH and I served this last night for dinner when we had company over. It was absolutely delicious! I loved it, and my guests remarked several times how good they thought it was. We grilled the steaks on the BBQ and I thought the pesto sauce was a perfect pairing. I will be making this recipe many, many times in the future. Thank you so much for posting.