I love steak (esp on the grill)and am always on the look out for recipes. This comes off a BBQ/grilling website and is very good. The pesto adds a nice topping flavor to the grilled steaks. I have done these on the countertop grill and on the campfire also with no change.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1 cup loosely packed fresh basil leaf
- 1/3 cup sun-dried tomato, oil-packed, drained
- 1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 medium garlic clove
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 (12 -16 ounce) porterhouse steaks, 1 inch thick
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1To make the pesto: In a medium skillet over medium heat, spread the pine nuts in a single layer and cook until lightly browned and toasted, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 2Put the nuts in a food processor.
- 3Add all the remaining pesto ingredients except the oil.
- 4Pulse to create a coarse cornmeal consistency.
- 5Slowly add the oil andpulse until it is incorporated.
- 6For a slightly looser consistency, add 1 to 2 tablespoons warm water as you pulse.
- 7The finished pesto should have all the ingredients blended but not pureed.
- 8Season the steaks with salt and pepper on both sides, pressing the seasonings into the meat.
- 9Lightly brush or spray each side with the oil.
- 10Allow the steaks to stand at room temperature for 20 to 30 minutes before grilling.
- 11Grill over Direct Medium heat until cooked to desired doneness, 8 to 10 minutes for medium rare, turning once or twice (if flare-ups occur, move the steaks temporarily over Indirect Medium heat). Remove the steaks from the grill and let rest for 5 minutes.
- 12Serve each steak with a generous dollop of pesto on top.
Browse Our Top Steak Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Steak Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Porterhouse Steaks With Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto
Serving Size: 1 (262 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1088.6
- Calories from Fat 782
- Total Fat 86.9 g
- Saturated Fat 27.6 g
- Cholesterol 219.8 mg
- Sodium 1025.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 4.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 2.0 g
- Protein 69.8 g