Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
Seriously different! I'm not big on rye bread, personally - but its great with pumpernickel.
- 18 ounces portabella mushrooms, sliced
- 8 slices rye bread
- 4 tablespoons Russian salad dressing, prepared
- 4 ounces swiss cheese, 4 slices
- 1 cup Coleslaw
- 4 slices red onions
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Preheat oven to 375°F In a large skillet, heat oil until hot over medium-high heat.
- Add mushrooms, cover and cook until they begin to release liquid, about 4 minutes. Uncover and cook until tender and liquid evaporates, about 4 more minutes. Drain on paper towels and press lightly to remove excess moisture.
- Meanwhile, on a baking sheet, arrange bread slices and toast in the oven, turning once, until lightly browned. Spread toast with dressing, dividing evenly.
- Arrange mushrooms on half of the toast, top each with a slice of cheese folded in half.
- Bake open-faced sandwiches until cheese melts.
- Top each sandwich with 1/4 cup coleslaw and an onion slice. Cover with remaining toast.