Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This casserole has a suble flavour and the meat is succulent. Enjoy this with some lemon flavoured rice.
- 25 ml oil
- 1 kg pork chop
- salt and black pepper
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 50 ml flour
- 250 ml chicken stock
- 75 ml white wine
- 14 fresh sage leaves or 5 ml dried sage
- 5 ml mustard
- 10 ml capers, rinsed and chopped
- 2 ml salt
- 2 ml sugar
- 50 ml sour cream
- Preheat oven to 160°C.
- Heat oil and brown chops very lightly on both sides.
- Place chops close together in a casserole dish in a single layer and season with salt and pepper.
- Saute onion and garlic in pan drippings.
- When softened, add flour and stir for 1 minute.
- Slowly stir in stock and wine and allow to thicken (this will be very thick, but the juice from the meat will thin it down).
- Add sage, mustard, capers, salt, sugar and sour cream.
- Mix well and spread over the chops.
- Cover and bake for 1 1/2 hours until meat is tender.
- Check now and then and add a little water, if necessary.
This is SO good! Mouthwatering flavourful. I used center cut pork chops and served it with Algerian Style green beans and rice with a bit of lemon. Definitely on the Make Again list
This was very simple and good. I used a pork roast, cut up into cubes, and my South African husband and children loved it, especially with chutney. Not bad for a Kanadiase boerevrou!