Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
I took the recipes from a few top chefs & "kinda sorta" combined them until I came up with this perfected recipe. It's very easy. Even though the preperation time is 30 minutes, there is a 3 hour to overnight period of marinating time in the refrigerator.
- 4 lbs boneless pork shoulder (skin on)
- 4 cloves garlic (smashed)
- 1⁄2 cup fresh oregano
- 4 tablespoons kosher salt (1 tbsp for every lb. of meat)
- 1 tablespoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- Place the pork, fat-side up, in a roasting pan fitted with a rack insert, and using a sharp knife, score the surface of the meat with small slits.
- Mash the garlic, oregano, salt, and pepper into a paste on a cutting board with the flat side of a knife; place the paste into a bowl and stir in the oil and vinegar.
- Rub the garlic paste all over the pork, being sure to get into the incisions so the salt can penetrate the meat and pull out the moisture.
- This will help form a crust on the outside when cooked.
- Cover the pork with plastic wrap and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours or overnight.
- Allow the meat to sit at room temperature for 30 minutes before cooking.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Roast the pork for 3 hours, uncovered, until the skin is crispy-brown.
- Let the meat rest on a cutting board for 10 minutes before slicing.
- Also, prior to slicing, lightly scrape off the very salty crust that has already served its purpose.