Prep 3 hrs
Cook 0 mins
Most people are not quite sure what they are eating....but it never fails to be one of the first things eaten up. This appetizer has loads of flavour (definitely not low fat!). This recipe makes up a huge amount so I usually cut the recipe in half. I am fortunate, I have a friend who is a butcher, so he cuts the meat up for me. Can be frozen for up to 2 months.
- 1⁄2 lb pork butt
- 1 lb bacon
- 4 bay leaves
- 6 medium onions
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- Cut the pork into 2 inch cubes. Chop bacon into 1 inch slices.
- Heat up a Dutch oven on the stove. Spray with Pam and let it heat up for 30 seconds. Add pork and bacon to the pot. Cook over medium heat until fat is translucent, about 10 minutes.
- Add rest of ingredients and stir to combine. Cover pot with lid and simmer for 3 hours.
- Remove bay leaves and skim as much of the fat as possible. Let cool slightly.
- Add mixture to a food processor (careful of the heat) and shred. Let cool to room temperature then chill for a couple of hours for the flavours to blend.
- Serve with crackers or vegetables.