Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is my Mom's version of Embutido. It's a Filipino meatloaf. You can cook ahead of time and freeze for serving later. If freezing for later, defrost when ready and glaze with soy sauce for coloring. Then slice to fry or bake entire loaf to reheat and brown. Enjoy!
- 2 lbs ground pork
- 5 ounces chorizo sausage, chopped (chorizo de bilbao) or 5 ounces vienna sausages, sliced
- 2 eggs
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 small carrot, chopped
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup raisins
- 1 -2 tablespoon sweet pickle relish
- 4 hard-boiled eggs, sliced lengthwise into 4 pieces
- Mix all ingredients in a large bowl EXCEPT for hard boiled eggs and vienna sausages, if using.
- Divide mixture into 4 portions.
- Spread each mixture on a piece of aluminum foil.
- Arrange hard boiled eggs (and sliced vienna sausages) in a line along the middle on top of the meat mixture.
- Shape and roll mixture into a cyliner.
- Wrap tightly in foil. This will make 4 rolls.
- Bake for 1 hour at 350 degrees.
- Slice and serve.
Brilliant!! I served it in my daughter's baby shower, it was very popular with all guests
I liked it overall. I think next time I will add some minced garlic. I used the vienna sausages since I could not find chorizo de bilbao. I did put soy sauce on it when I sliced it and it added a nice flavor. I will try frying some of the slices later and will come back and give another updated review. Made for PAC Fall 2007.