Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
- cooking spray
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 cup finely chopped fennel
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon fennel seed
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 8 ounces ground lean pork
- 2 cups chopped tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup fat-free low-sodium chicken broth
- 4 cups hot cooked rigatoni pasta (about 1/2 lb uncooked pasta)
- Heat a large skillet coated with cooking spray over medium high heat. Add onion, fennel and garlic, cook for 5 minutes.
- Add fennel seeds and next 7 ingredients (through to pork), stirring to combine, saute 3 minutes.
- Add tomato and broth, bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve over hot pasta.
I used this combination of ingredients, plus an extra cup of broth, on a small pork roast in the pressure cooker. Shredded the meat and tossed with pasta and the cooking sauce. It was sensational.
Nice fennel flavour, but I cut back on the pepper for kids. Served with bucatini.