Recipe by FolkDiva
From Towns, Trails and Special Times. Not your everyday meatballs!
Top Review by hodgemo2
Awesome!! Hubby didn't quite get that there was rice in the meatballs so we had a rice overload; he wanted them served over rice. But these were delicious!! I used a can of diced tomatoes rather than stewed (all I had on hand), beef broth over beer. I actually can't remember if I used a pepper or not. I made mine into 7 balls, and will probably make them a bit smaller next time. But there WILL be a next time. Again and again. I might try freezing some, too.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup instant rice, uncooked
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 1⁄2 ounces dry onion soup mix (or vegetable soup mix)
- 1⁄4 cup sweet green pepper, finely chopped (or jalapeno pepper)
- 14 ounces stewed tomatoes
- 12 ounces light beer (may substitute with beef stock or broth)
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 3 tablespoons flour
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix together the ground beef, rice, eggs, dry soup mix and pepper. Shape into 6 large balls. Set aside.
- Combine tomatoes, beer and chili powder in a large, heavy, deep skillet. Heat to boiling over medium heat.
- Carefully drop meatballs into hot tomato mixture; cover and simmer for 45 to 55 minutes. Lift out meatballs and thicken sauce with 3 tbsp flour mixed with cold water, if desired.
- Serve meatballs with sauce in deep bowls with cornbread or crusty bread.