Recipe by Eismeer
Creamy, cheesy, heavenly! You could prepare this risotto with fresh mushroom (boletus) as well, use about 300g and fry them with butter for a couple of minutes. You may need to adjust the liquid amountregarding the risotto. I actually prefer dried porcini as they tend to be more aromatic and have better texture. You can substitue parsley with sage or thyme. The amount of broth and soaking liquid you'll need is bound to vary according to the type/brand of rice you'll use. And yes, it's all about the frequent stirring :)!
Top Review by Papa D 1946-2012
Creamy, cheesy, heavenly, Indeed! The porcini mushrooms are the star of this recipe, they added so much earthy flavor. I made as written and added the soaked porcinis in with the sauteed garlic and shallots just before adding the rice. This is a keeper and will be made often and added to my "Best Of 2012 Cookbook" Thanks Eismeer for posting this delicious recipe. Made for Spring 2012 PAC.
- 400 g risotto rice (Carnaroli, Arborio, ...)
- 60 g dried porcini mushrooms
- 125 ml white wine (or Prosecco)
- 500 ml vegetable broth (simmering)
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 -3 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated (or pecorino romano)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped (or 1TB sage, or thyme)
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Cover porcini mushroom with (at first) boiling water (about 150ml). Soak for about 30 minutes. Save soaking liquid for later, but strain through a close meshed sieve or even coffee filter to avoid sand.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet, add garlic, chopped porcini mushrooms and chopped shallots.
- Add risotto rice and let fry for about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add white wine (or Prosecco) and stir frequently until wine is absorbed by rice.
- Now alternately add hot(!) vegetable broth and procini soaking water. (Best 1 ladle at a time until liquid has been absorbed by rice.).
- Repeat until rice is cooked through but still of creamy texture. Stir frequently. (about 15-20 minutes).
- Now incorporate 2 TB butter, parsley and parmesan.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve topped with parmesan shaves.