Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is very authentic Filipino dish. You can use pork or chicken or both. Very tasty.
- 2 lbs pork shoulder (or chicken drumstick or Both)
- 1 large chopped onion
- 6 -8 diced garlic cloves
- 2 -3 bay leaves
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄3 cup soy sauce
- 1⁄4 cup vinegar
- 16 ounces pineapple chunks in juice
- 2 -3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup chopped spring onion (optional)
- Mix all ingredients in a pot.
- Cook in a medium heat for 45 minutes to 1 hr or till meat is very tender.
- Garnish with chopped spring onions (optional).
- Best served with rice.
Tried this tonight. Turned out great! :-)
Pretty good balance of soy sauce and vinegar. I've tried some recipes that come out either too bitter or too salty.
I didn't add the pineapple. From what I've seen, it's not really a traditional ingredient, and, also, I didn't want a very sweet adobo. Just preference, mainly.
Also, when I cooked the pork shoulder, I had already cubed it and instead of cooking it at medium high for 45-60 minutes, I started it at a boil then covered and lowered it to medium low and cooked it for an hour.
Thanks for the recipe! Surprisingly, it can be hard to find a good pork adobo recipe.
I made this using Lambribs and it was incredibly Good. Also instead of pineapple chunks I used pineapple-orange juice-about 1/4 Cup. This is a Yummo Keeper!